Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Hob Nob Wicked Red 2011

You may think that here on the CWT blog, I choose wines solely because I want to try/drink them. This is only partially true. I mean yeah, I have a say in what gets tasted, but I also consider other things when choosing a wine, like the time of year and what holidays/events are coming up. You want proof? This week I'm NOT reviewing a Spanish red. SO THERE. Instead, I'll tell you about a red blend from France that will be GREAT with your Superbowl party appetizers: Hob Nob Wicked Red!

I've had some of Hob Nob's other wines, and have been quite fond of them. Why, just last week I recommended their Pinot Noir to someone (yummy!). But I've never tried their blend before, and I was excited because, as a whole, I tend to really enjoy red blends (cue: Apothic, Menage a Trois, and Cupcake's Red Velvet).

This one has some serious color to it in the glass. It looks and smells intense, with a deep, mulchy, autumnal scent to it. This is true of the flavor as well. Unlike California blends, this one's not Zin based, so it doesn't have a whole lot of berry bursting on your tongue. Rather it's very earthy, with a warmth in the sip like pepper or cinnamon, without precisely having that flavor.This is a young wine that needs a bit to open, so let it air or give it a good swish in the glass before your drink. 

For the uninitiated, this is a chicken,
stuffed in a duck, stuffed in a turkey,
with stuffing. Boo-yeah!
The Hob Nob Wicked Red is wicked awesome (heehee) paired with salty foods like cheeses-- in fact, any apps would be a yummy addition (hence the recommendation to class up yer Superbowl party with a bottle). If you'd rather pair it with a meal, let me suggest steak, lamb or my Superbowl Sunday favorite: Turducken. Not even joking a little bit.


No comments:

Post a Comment