Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Vega Sindoa Cabernet Sauvignon 2009


If there’s a varietal I prefer to drink, it’s definitely Cabernet, and the 2009 Vega Sindoa doesn’t disappoint.
Dinner at the OG
brings out my creative side...
I gave it a go on "impromptu date night" this past Tuesday, and while I cursed the Olive Garden for not allowing us to BYOB, the Vega is smooth enough that it works as a digestif too. When we got home we curled up on the couch and got down to business: drinking wine.
When you pour yourself a glass the first thing you’ll notice about the Vega is how dark it is; it’s deep purple sticks to the glass when you swirl it around to aerate. The aroma is heavy; rich and earthy, like dirt or dust. I’m told this scent is “red clay” and that the Navarra region of Spain is known for its chalky, mineral-rich soil.
The wine itself is somewhat dry and has a peppery finish. It isn’t the spiciest cab I’ve ever had, but the bite is definitely there. There are also some dark fruit flavors; cherry and blackberry. It reminds me of the wine-based potpourri that’s brewed in crockpots just for the aroma. Only I want to drink this one.
The 2009 Vega Sindoa isn’t as complex or layered as some of my favorite Cabernets, but its smooth finish and deep flavors are very much representative of what I love about them— even if its other more distinctive qualities make the Vega a little bit different from the California Cabs I’m accustomed to.
If you like dry, surprising wines with straightforward flavor, this one’s for you. Try it with a pasta or beef dish. I’m thinking lasagna, YUM!
ahh, relaxing.

Vega Sindoa Cabernet Sauvignon
2009
Navarra, Spain
Price:                  $
My Rating:          B+

No comments:

Post a Comment