Monday, May 21, 2012

Welcome



 If you’ve spent any time at all in Personal Wine Cellar, you’ve probably noticed that we’re not what you might call “wine snobs” (Okay, Ernie might be one, but we like him anyway*). Not one of us is a sommelier, nor have we ever been to Napa Valley or French wine country (though they make their appearances on my bucket list). And so it is curious to me when the following thing happens at least once a day: I’m standing behind the counter ringing out a customer who explains to me his or her purchase by saying: “I’m not really a wine person,” “you must think I have terrible taste in wine” or “I just don’t have a sophisticated palate.” It’s like they are apologizing to me for what they are buying; they believe that the wine they enjoy isn’t really any good.

And that’s just crazy talk.

Over the last nine-ish years that I have been actively (and passively) involved in the sale or consumption of wine, I have discovered some important truths…
  • You can get great wine in a box
  • You can get great wine out of a screw-top bottle
  • You can get great wine for under $10— conversely you can get terrible wine for over $50.
  • Wine is subjective
  • Life is too short to drink wine you don’t like!


My hope for this blog is that it will be a place for those “non-sophisticated” palates. For the non-experts. For people like me, who love wine (or want to love wine) and love trying something new. Each week I’ll taste a different wine and tell you what I think. If you want to try it for yourself, stop by Personal Wine Cellar for that week’s free tasting event.
So pour yourself a healthy glass, pull up an office chair and feel free to comment, agree or disagree with me.

Join me here next week for my first official tasting post. I’ll be reviewing a surprising Spanish red: the Vega Sindoa Cabernet Sauvignon. Until then, enjoy what you drink and drink what you enjoy. Cheers!

* edit: No, we don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment