Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Abad Dom Bueno Mencia 2009

 Happy Autumn everyone! It's finally here! That magical time of year where we break out our jackets and crock pots, sip red wine and toddies, and listen to the rustling of a crisp breeze through the dying leaves. Say it with me now: aaahhhhhhhhh...

culinary genius.
This weekend I went all-out fall with a crock of slow-cooker beef stew, pumpkin cupcakes with spiced cream cheese frosting, and a few hearty glasses of 2009 Abad Dom Bueno Mencia. Normally I would go for a drier red with beef stew, but the PWC family has really been digging Spanish reds lately, so we went with the less traditional (at least as far as beef stew is concerned) Mencia. I bet you didn't know that Mencia was even a grape-- unless you actually know about wine, in which case you must be reading this blog solely for access to my wit and charm.

The first thing I noticed about the wine was that the bottle is sooooo pretty. I'm not usually a victim of this kind of book-by-its-cover marketing, but look at it!

I'm completely drawn to the shimmery blue lettering with that enigmatic seal that a quick Google search informs me is a window of the Monastery of Carracedo (located near the Abad Dom Bueno bodega), which used to be a stop on the Camino de Santiago.

I want to go to there.
This wine looks great in the glass as well. It's a surprisingly dark purple, somewhere between blueberry and blackberry in color. The look is definitely heavier than the smell or taste though. The aroma of the Mencia is warm and inviting as well as a bit fruity. The sip is characterized by dark fruit: blackberry jam is right on the money. It's a bit sweeter than one might expect from a cursory glance, but that's okay-- it's not overwhelming and I definitely wouldn't call the Mencia a sweet wine. With a little bit of that red warmth, this is a great wine for those cool evenings I so look forward to this time of year.

I took this picture NOT in
front of the microwave, just
to keep you on your toes.
The Mencia was great with our meal, however I'd understand if you'd prefer a spicier, drier red with beef stew (perhaps a Chianti). If this sounds like you, I also think it would be great with marinated pork loin. Additionally the Internet suggests game meat, which I hadn't thought of.



Price: $



Rating: B+





No comments:

Post a Comment