Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Capoccia Vineyards and Winery Noiret 2011

This picture is meant to show you
what a great local holiday gift a
bottle of Capoccia wine would be.
If you're like me and wanted to shop local for gifts this holiday season but haven't even started yet, here's a good tidbit for you-- this week's wine is a true local, and it's available (along with a couple of others from the same vineyard) at PWC.

Made in good ol' Nisky.
Capoccia Vineyards and Winery is located in Niskayuna, NY (which is just more than a stone's throw from my house...in fact I could probably even walk there without being knifed). There are so many reasons why I think this winery is cool. Firstly, it's the only one (that I know of) in Schenectady County. All grapes are either grown on site or shipped from growers in the Finger Lakes area. The family has been making wines for generations, so their dedication to quality is evident-- they are a chemical-free operation. Lastly, for a brand-spanking-new venture (they opened their doors this past July) their wines are quite good.

At PWC you can shop
AND drink local
For today's post I tried their Noiret, which is a pleasingly spicy red. You'll notice its deep red color and warm fragrance right away. I thought I detected a hint of chocolate when I inhaled, but I am still congested so maybe it's just me.

The sip is a little peppery, with some raisin and plum worked in there as well. The bottle says there is a mint aroma, and while I didn't necessarily detect the scent or flavor, my mouth felt oddly refreshed after I sipped*.

The folks at Capoccia Winery recommend that you serve the Noiret with beef, pasta or sharp cheeses. I agree that those all sound delicious. I had a glass with some chef-created ravioli in a light tomato sauce...

don't judge me.
Sorry to disappoint any of you who might have expected the culinary genius you usually find here on the Casual Wine Taster blog, but I'm a grad student and it's the end of the semester, so I don't have time to cook for a few weeks. Thank you, Mr. Boiardi.

*Seriously, if you come to PWC on Thursday for our free tasting, try taking a sip and then inhale deeply through your mouth. Totally wild!


Price: $

My Rating: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment